Just a heads-up for everyone, I’ve managed to configure both the AT&T 6RD service and Hurricane Electric on our home network. I started out using AT&T’s 6RD, because, well, it’s on AT&T and I figured would perform more reliably. Wrong!
I kept noticing intermittent loss of connectivity. My mosh sessions (which I forced over IPv6) would lock up momentarily, etc.
Since then, I switched over to the Hurricane Electric tunnel, and all seems to be much more reliable.
I’ll do some more experimentation, and most likely verify there’s no firewall rules causing the 6RD packets to not get back here, before completely writing off the AT&T 6RD service. Just in case I have a misconfiguration. I’ll post back here and let everyone know.
In my last post, I mentioned the (mis)adventures of trying to add a block of static IPs to my U-verse account. I’m happy to say that everything (eventually) ended well.
I had an appointment window of 9-11AM on Tuesday. Much to my delight, the tech called me around 9AM and said he was on his way. (Great, because that frees up the rest of my morning — I hate having to sit around waiting on someone to get here.) He arrives a few minutes later, and proceeds to spend the next 45 minutes getting things set up. Seems he already had the IP addresses with him when he arrived (and they were somewhat similar to the Chinese IP addresses I was given over the phone.) Honestly, I think the bulk of that time was spent with him on some kind of chat trying to figure out how to verify the IPS worked (i.e. assign them to a device.) If that’s the case, all he had to do was ask me, and we’d of had it tested in under five minutes.
Good news: All of the blocking shenanigans that seem to have went on concerning SIP and IP protocol 41 (for IPv6 tunneling) seem to have gone away when using the newly-assigned IPs. This leads me to believe said “blocking” is most likely the proprietary modem/gateway trying to intercept that traffic for its own use, rather than intentional blocking. Using the public IP subnet, the modem/gateway is essentially a public router (and I’ve turned off all firewall functionality for the subnet, since I have my own firewall going.)
All’s well that ends well, I guess. In the coming days, I’ll try to post on how I got everything working with IPv6.
Life is full of fun experiences. However, today I discovered adding static IP addresses to your residential U-verse (VDSL2+, if that matters) account is not one of them…
Let me explain: Your typical U-verse connection requires you use AT&T’s proprietary gateway/modem (so they can also provide video and VoIP service over the same connection.) Even if you’re only subscribing to Internet service (I have DirecTV for video), you must still use their gateway. The gateway is assigned what’s known as a “sticky IP” address on its Internet-facing interface. This address generally doesn’t change, unless you replace your gateway or a tech moves you to another physical port in the VRAD. Also, unlike the legacy ADSL service, you cannot obtain a simple static IP address from AT&T on U-verse service. You can, however, obtain a subnet with multiple IP addresses. I decided to do just that…
Continue reading “Today’s Saga: Adding Static IP Addresses to U-verse”
In case you have been here before, and things look a bit different (or barren), I’m in the process of redesigning the site. New server, new theme, new everything. I know, it’s a bit late for a New Year’s resolution, so let’s just call it an early resolution for 2018!
If you find something that doesn’t work, give it some time.